Border Requirements

Click here for: US Customs and Border Protection

What documentation, identification, and paperwork does a Canadian citizen need to travel to the U.S.?


Canadian citizens 15 years old and younger arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate or a Canadian Citizenship Card.

Canadian Citizens 16-18 must have a valid passport

Residents (PR) of Canada who are landed immigrants need a passport and visa to enter the United States, unless they are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If they are a citizen of a country eligible for the VWP, they are only required to have their valid passport – coming by land or sea.

Also, Native American Indians born in Canada with at least 50% American Indian blood are exempt from having a visa and passport to enter the U.S. by land. They should have their tribal identity card to present to the CBP Officer. If an American Indian is arriving into the U.S. by AIR, the traveler will be required to have a passport.